For those of you who may have read about this on facebook sorry. I wanted to blog about it for journaling reasons.
On Monday I took Reagan to the park. That part wasn't unusual anyone who knows Reagan knows she prefers to live at the park. I usually try to take her in the mornings because she usually has a nap in the afternoons and it's much cooler in the mornings. But that morning was a little busy so I took her after her nap. We were at the park for a little bit playing and no one was really there. But then the school buses started dropping off kids from school. This park uses the park as a bus stop. Reagan loves other kids and loves to play with them even if they don't always want to play with her. So she was so excited that there were kids there. She really wanted to play with these twin girls probably kindergarten age. But they really didn't want to play with her. I tried to explain to her that they were big and wanted to play with big kids. This really nice girl realized that Reagan wanted someone to play with so she started to play with her and she was probably 10...it was pretty cute how good she was with Reagan. She even played tag with her...one of her new favorite games. After the girl left Reagan was back to following those twins and their older brother around. The older boy asked Reagan where her mom was and Reagan pointed to me. I was sitting a little bit away away at a picnic table. He started laugh...I can only imagine what he said to her but I couldn't hear. Then he asked her again where her mommy was. She again pointed at my and he laughed again. Then he asked, "why is your mommy white?" The next thing I knew all the kids except for Reagan were rolled on the ground laughing. Of course I was too far away to hear everything. I went to get Reagan and told the kids it wasn't nice to laugh at people. I told them to go home and ask their mom what adopted meant and it would explain why she was black and I was white. On the way to the car I asked Reagan what she had said when the boy asked her why her mommy was white? With a straight face she told me my mommy isn't white she is peach!! Trying not to laugh myself it made sense why the kids were rolling on the ground laughing. I think I probably would have too.
We knew having Reagan be a different race than us that this question would come up at some point. But we never thought it would be when she was two. She obviously knows that she looks different than us and she knows that she is adopted. We have a special book that we read to Reagan about adoption. It's about a brown bear family that adopts a panda bear. It talks about how their family is different but special. So that is what we half expected Reagan to say. But we loved her response and how she handled the situation. We have also reminded her that she can tell people that she is adopted. We love Reagan so much. She comes up with these things all on her own and makes us laugh daily!!!
4 comments:
That is so cute. What a great answer. Kids are so honest!
What a perfect response! It sounds like you guys have prepared her really well for questions about adoption. You guys are great parents and have a beautiful little girl :)
She is so funny. If she is like this now, I can only imagine what she will be like when she gets older. You have so much to look forward to.
What a smart little girl. I love it!
Post a Comment